Saturday 28 April 2012

Paula's Memoir

I sat there, arms crossed, head down. Loud cries and sobbing filled the room. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the long, wooden coffin being carried out by 8 broad men. Tears filled my eyes.
I knew it was time.

That cold, icy school morning was the day. My bother Rhys, Mum and I were having breakfast when the phone rang. We were all half asleep so we jolted at the ringing sound. Mum answered with a polite 'Hello?'. I could hear murmuring in the background but nothing else. Slowly, my Mother's eyes began to puff up like a pufferfish. I knew something was terribly wrong. As we gathered around our kitchen to hear the news, shakily Mum announced, "Paul's dead. Kate just rang to say". 
Kate is Paul's daughter and Paul is Mum's ex-partner.
We were all devastated.

A week later was his funeral. it was at a church somewhere in the country. A lot of people were there, I was very suprised.
Everyone made their was in as slow as a snail and sat down on the long wooden chairs. A few people said a speech; his best friend, sister, god daughter and daughters. After the funeral everyone placed beautiful shells on top of his coffin.

Whenever I look through my Facebook and see his name, I think of him. When I look through old family photos and videos I remember all the great times we have had together.

A day to sadly, never forget.

Paula Whiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment